Complete an adaptive question
An adaptive question is authored with multiple adaptive sections.
Each section is presented one at a time and can contain multiple response areas.
Based on your performance on an adaptive section and how the section is configured, one of the following three results can occur:
- You're given another attempt at the section
- You're navigated to the next section of the adaptive question
- You're attempt at the question is considered complete
NOTE: Adaptive questions can have many different configurations of adaptive section properties to moderate how you're navigated through an adaptive question. Some examples are:
- Example — An adaptive question could be configured to navigate you to the next adaptive section only when an incorrect response is submitted. When a correct response is submitted, you're exited from the question and your attempt at the adaptive question is considered complete.
- Example — An adaptive question could be configured to require correct responses in order to progress through all adaptive sections of the adaptive question. When an incorrect response is submitted for an adaptive section, you're exited from the question and your attempt at the question is considered complete.
TIP: Adaptive questions are different from adaptive assignments. Check out Complete an adaptive assignment to learn more about these differences.
You can recognize a question as an adaptive question by the presence of the Verify button and the number of allowed attempts.
To work through an adaptive question:
You'll be presented with the adaptive question within an activity. The first adaptive section of the adaptive question is displayed.
Complete all of the available response areas within the adaptive section and click Verify to submit your response(s).
NOTE: If the question is configured to allow you to skip sections, you can click Next Part to be navigated to the next section of the question.
You'll be informed that you'll lose any remaining attempts at the section if you proceed (for sections that permit more than one attempt). Click Ok to continue to skip the section.
IMPORTANT: If you're permitted to skip a section but the question is configured to be considered complete if an incorrect response (or no response) is entered, you won't be navigated to the next section of the question, and your attempt at the adaptive question is considered complete.
NOTE: You'll receive feedback about the correctness of your response on the adaptive section after clicking Verify.
A variety of navigational scenarios are possible based on the configuration of the adaptive section's properties and the correctness of your response. One of the following results will occur once Verify (or Next Part if available) is clicked:
- You'll be given another attempt at the section (the remaining number of allowed attempts at the section will update and you'll repeat steps 1 to 3)
- You'll be presented with the next section of the adaptive question (and you'll repeat steps 1 to 3)
- The question is considered complete and you're navigated to the next part of the activity (Example — you're navigated to the next question of an assignment)
NOTE: A grade penalty might be applied (depending on the section's configuration) for each additional attempt at the section when more than one attempt is permitted for the section.