Connect Möbius to Moodle
Jump to section
The Moodle™ Learning Management System can be connected to Möbius using LTI 1.3 integration.
IMPORTANT: Moodle™ version 3.8.3 is recommended by DigitalEd for best results with Deep Linking and LTI 1.3 integration. There's a known issue with Deep Linking and Moodle™ version 4, while older versions of Moodle™ don't support grade pushing with LTI 1.3 integration.
Möbius and Moodle™ administrators can follow these instructions to connect their Moodle™ Learning Management System to Möbius.
Your Learning Management System will require you to provide data that's specific to your Möbius site.
Check out View my Möbius LTI data for details on how to obtain this data.
To add your Möbius site as an External Tool in Moodle using the data from your Möbius site:
Log in to your Moodle administrator account and click Site Administration.
On the Plugins tab, click Manage tools.
Click the Configure a tool manually link.
Complete these fields under the Tool Settings heading:
- Tool Name: Enter a unique name for the new tool (Example — Möbius MyInstitution).
- Tool URL: Enter the Tool URL value attained from View my Möbius LTI data.
- Tool Description: An optional field to record any useful information.
- LTI Version: Select LTI 1.3 from the drop-down list.
Complete these additional fields under the Tool Settings heading:
- Public Key Type: Select Keyset URL from the drop-down list.
- Public Keyset: Enter the Public JWK Set URL value attained from View my Möbius LTI data.
- Initiate Login URL: Enter the Initiate Login URL value attained from View my Möbius LTI data.
- Redirection URI(s): Enter the Redirection URI value attained from View my Möbius LTI data.
- Tool Configuration Usage: Select Show as preconfigured tool when adding an external tool from the drop-down list.
- Default Launch Container: Select New window from the drop-down list.
Click the Show More link to set the following options:
- Content-Item Message: Select the Content-Item Message checkbox.
- Content Selection URL: Enter the Content Selection URL value attained from View my Möbius LTI data.
Expand the Privacy section and enable the following options:
- Share launcher's name with tool
- Share launcher's email with tool
- Accept grades from the tool
- Force SSL
Click Save changes.
Your new LTI tool will be displayed on the Developer Keys page. Click the View configuration details icon.
If you already have Möbius installed as an LTI 1.0/1.1 tool in Moodle, the tool can be easily changed to an LTI 1.3 tool.
IMPORTANT: If updating to LTI 1.3, existing LTI links to Möbius will continue to work only if the existing LTI tool is edited in this way.
To edit your LTI tool in Moodle:
On the Plugins tab of the Site administration page, click Manage tools
Find the existing Möbius LTI 1.0 tool, and click the gear icon to edit the tool.
From the LTI version drop-down list, select LTI 1.3.
Change the Tool URL and other fields as given in Configure an LTI 1.3 External Tool in Moodle.
Click Save changes.
To add the completed Moodle LTI 1.3 configuration details to Möbius:
Click Add Configuration on the Edit LTI Configurations page in Möbius.
TIP: Check out Add an LTI configuration to Möbius for more details on getting to this page in Möbius.
Complete the fields attained from Moodle in Step 10 to the Add LTI 1.3 Configuration window.
Once configured, the integration between Moodle and Möbius should be tested by linking from Moodle to a Möbius assignment, attempting the assignment as a student, and checking that grades are pushed back to Moodle.
To use the configured External Tool to add an assignment link to your Moodle course:
Open your Moodle course for editing, and click Add an activity or resource.
Select the External Tool radio button, or select the radio button corresponding to the Möbius External Tool.
Ensure the Möbius External Tool is selected from the Preconfigured tool drop-down menu.
Click Select content.
The Möbius mapping menu will appear for configuration of the link destination—check out Activity mapping for details on completing this configuration and linking to a Möbius Assignment.
After the mapping menu closes, complete the fields under the Grade heading as required for your assignment.
Click Save and display.
TIP: Check out the LMS Integration Workflows for a visual representation of creating and using different types of links from Möbius to Moodle:
Now that you've connected Moodle to Möbius, you're ready for: