Use a third-party proctoring service
Jump to section
Creating your Möbius test or exam as a proctored exam helps to promote security and integrity of testing environments.
You can then connect with third-party proctoring services that provide online proctoring solutions.
TIP: Check out Create a proctored exam and Enable Proctored Browser Mode for details on how to create assignments with increased security and integrity. You can also check out Define assignment properties to learn what other settings you can apply to your proctored exams for increased protection against cheating.
TIP: Authoring algorithmic questions (check out Author an algorithmic question) and including question groups in your tests, exams, and assignments (check out Create a group) also help to prevent cheating.
Third-party proctoring services typically use a webcam to authenticate and then remotely proctor (or supervise) the student while they complete their Möbius activity.
NOTE: A student may require the third-party proctor to authorize the launch, submission, or launch and submission of their attempt at the activity, depending on the activity properties that you've defined. Check out Define assignment properties for more information on these settings.
Using a third-party proctoring service is effortless with Möbius because:
- There's no software to download
- There's no technical link or API integration of a third-party service into Möbius
- Once a student is authenticated, they simply navigate to Möbius using their web browser and complete their Möbius work online as they normally would
To use a third-party proctor for your class's test or exam:
IMPORTANT: You're encouraged to be available (Example — available by email, text, video call, etc.) for student and proctor support during the testing period for issues that may arise while your students are completing the activity.
Schedule your test or exam in Möbius and then coordinate with the third-party proctoring service to make arrangements for your students to be proctored.
Provide the proctoring service with the details of the Möbius test or exam. Some examples of the important details that you should provide to the proctoring service are:
- The URL that the student will use to access the activity (or if connected through an LMS, the link the student will click to access the activity).
- Any assignment properties that will affect a student's attempt (Example — time limit, start date and time, maximum attempts, etc.).
- The password if password authorization is required to launch the attempt, submit the attempt for grading, or both.
- Any Advanced Policies that have been defined that might affect a student's ability to launch the activity (Example — the student must have already passed Assignment 1 before beginning this proctored exam).
The student then interacts remotely with the proctoring service proctor to initiate the authentication process.
The student navigates to the Möbius activity in their web browser and begins their attempt while being proctored.
NOTE: A student may require the proctor to perform authorization at certain check points of the student's attempt depending on the properties defined for your activity (Example — an exam may require a proctor to authorize the student so that they can begin their attempt).
The student can disconnect from the third-party proctoring service after their attempt has been submitted for grading.
NOTE: A student may require the proctor to perform authorization at certain check points of the student's attempt depending on the properties defined for your activity (Example — an exam may require a proctor to authorize the student so that they can submit their attempt for grading).
There are two types of authentication that a third-party proctoring service generally performs:
|Type of authentication||Explanation|
There are two types of proctoring that a third-party proctoring service generally performs:
Type of proctoring